DTO vBulletin Product Support

Go Back   Drive Thru Online - Support | Drive Thru Online vBulletin Products > Pre-Sales Questions > General Product Questions and Information

General Product Questions and Information Questions and information that apply to all DTO products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM

Default Help With DTO Garage Memory Size Exceeded Issue

Hi

I am not sure where to exactly post this, but I've had this program on my forum for over a year without a problem.

Quote:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 31457280 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7312 bytes) in /home/stangers/public_html/forum/includes/functions_dto_garage_common.php on line 678

It looks like I exceeded my memory faster than I had hoped? I am looking to fix this asap, can anyone offer any suggestions as to my exact issue?

Quote:
669 function open_image($mime_type, $src) {
671 if(stristr($mime_type, 'gif')) {
673 $image = imagecreatefromgif($src);
675 } elseif(stristr($mime_type, 'jpeg')) {
677 @ini_set('gd.jpeg_ignore_warning', 1);
678 $image = imagecreatefromjpeg($src);
680 } elseif( stristr($mime_type, 'png')) {
682 $image = imagecreatefrompng($src);
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Administrator

This is typically addressed by modifying the memory_limit setting in your php.ini file. If you are on a shared host you'll need to check with them on how to do this as every host seems to handle it slightly differently. Also, be sure to ask them what the max memory limit is as many hosts, regardless of what you set, have a max that is enforced. We usually recommend 128MB for this setting though you should be able to work with 64MB or higher.

If you are running an older version of Garage Plus I would recommend that you upgrade as we included some checking when possible to provide a graceful handling of these out of memory conditions.

I noticed that your license has also expired. Renewals of Garage Plus are only $49.00 and will enable us to continue to support you on issues like this.

Thanks!

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM

Hi perfect, that helps......is there anything I should adjust.....how difficult is the upgrade? Where can I renew? I'd be glad to upgrade and renewal my account......I should still make these updates correct? How do I find this file?

How can I reduce the picture upload limit per a user, to reduce the effect on this?

Last edited by Edgespeeder06; 03-31-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM

Found it.

This is what I currently have in there: memory_limit = 64M
Old 03-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Just click on the Customer Sign In to access your member area. Click on your license to renew.

The current version of Garage Plus is 1.3.3 so be sure to check what version you have currently installed.

I would recommend making the php.ini settings discussed above. You will need to check with your host on how to make these changes as every host handles php.ini settings differently.

As for limiting the picture upload limit I would also make sure that in the php.ini file that your "upload_max_filesize" setting is 2MB or less. This will also reduce the chance of running out of memory on upload processing.

The only other thing to recommend is limiting how many garages your usergroups have. Frankly I don't see a need to go this route if you do the above but it would be an option if you felt you need to limit your users to 3 or less. This, however, would really only effect how much storage you take up on your server versus any type of memory issues.

Thanks

Mark
Old 03-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Also, looking at the error you are seeing indicates that its maxing out at 30MB and therefore is ignoring your 64MB setting. Given this your host is limiting this and you'll need to work with them to allow you to have more memory allocated to your PHP processes. If they aren't accomodating then then only way to reduce this in the future is to decrease the "upload_max_filesize" setting. That said the issue could still occur in certain cases though with the 1.3.3 version of Garage the error should be more graceful to the end user.

Mark
Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Just click on the Customer Sign In to access your member area. Click on your license to renew.

The current version of Garage Plus is 1.3.3 so be sure to check what version you have currently installed.

I would recommend making the php.ini settings discussed above. You will need to check with your host on how to make these changes as every host handles php.ini settings differently.

As for limiting the picture upload limit I would also make sure that in the php.ini file that your "upload_max_filesize" setting is 2MB or less. This will also reduce the chance of running out of memory on upload processing.

The only other thing to recommend is limiting how many garages your usergroups have. Frankly I don't see a need to go this route if you do the above but it would be an option if you felt you need to limit your users to 3 or less. This, however, would really only effect how much storage you take up on your server versus any type of memory issues.

Thanks

Mark
Thank you Mark.

I will go ahead and make those changes once I hear back from Host Gator, I have the business account plan with them so hopefully they can work with me to resolve that limitation.

I know why I have this lack of space issue now, it must have been the person who set this up for me in the beginning that did this: upload_max_filesize = 64M

I don't think host gator would've done that
Old 03-31-2011, 08:07 PM

This explains it all.....reducing the image sizes would be great, does that mean all existing images in those garages will get lost in the process of downsizing the size?

PHP memory limit error HostGator.com Support Portal

Quote:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 12582912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 23456789 bytes) in somefile.php
Fatal Error: PHP Allowed Memory Size Exhausted
These errors occur when PHP tries to process a large database record, or when importing or exporting a database.
To fix the problem, please modify the memory_limit line in php.ini to match this example:
memory_limit = 64M
We do set the maximum memory limit at 64 MB (67108864 bytes). If you want to go higher, you will need a VPS plan or dedicated server.
So, if you see "Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted..." in the error, then you cannot increase the limit any higher without a VPS plan or dedicated server.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Administrator

In your first post you included the following

PHP Code:
Fatal errorAllowed memory size of 31457280 bytes exhausted (tried to  allocate 7312 bytesin  /home/stangers/public_html/forum/includes/functions_dto_garage_common.php  on line 678 
31457280 bytes = 30MB

This tells me that even though they are telling you they have configured it for 64MB there is a setting they have implemented that is preventing more than 30MB from being used. Given they say that 64MB is the max they can allow under your current hosting plan they should be able to resolve this issue for you.

This setting has nothing to do with images that have already been uploaded and are in your user's garages. It only affects those images that users attempt to upload from their local computer or from a URL that have a file size greater than what is specified in the "upload_max_filesize" php.ini setting for your server. In lost of cases you can still upload large (dimension-wise) images even though the file size of the image is below 2MB. Frankly 2MB provides a very generous file size and anything beyond that is really unnecessary.

Mark