DTO vBulletin Product Support

Go Back   Drive Thru Online - Support | Drive Thru Online vBulletin Products > Product and Plugin Discussion > New Ideas

New Ideas Haven't been able to find the vBulletin plugin or product to address a certain need? Describe it here and we'll evaluate making it a product.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Default What to do with abandoned vBulletin mods

================
Edit - NF - This conversation stated in the middle of a thread about a Goggle Mapping mod that had been abandoned but made more sense to spin it off into a new thread.
================

So I'll bring up some questions that I've been wondering about for a while in regard to site owners.

We all use add-ons from vB.org.

1) Why is it that authors abandon their mods?
2) Since our sites become dependent on these mods is there anything that can be done to either keep the authors engaged or provide a means to have the code live on short of having to maintain it ourselves?

Mark

Last edited by Nathan; 11-18-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
So I'll bring up some questions that I've been wondering about for a while in regard to site owners.

We all use add-ons from vB.org.

1) Why is it that authors abandon their mods?
2) Since our sites become dependent on these mods is there anything that can be done to either keep the authors engaged or provide a means to have the code live on short of having to maintain it ourselves?

Mark
We wish..

I think the main reason they abandon them is that they are free, so they have no obligation or motivation to maintain them. Unfortunately thats the way it goes.. unless "DTO" decides to re-release all of them for a small fee to have them continuously maintained.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
We wish..

I think the main reason they abandon them is that they are free, so they have no obligation or motivation to maintain them. Unfortunately thats the way it goes.. unless "DTO" decides to re-release all of them for a small fee to have them continuously maintained.
I'm not sure if we could obtain rights to the code in order to charge something to maintain them in the long term. That said if you look at the mods you have on your sites now and you were able to insure that they were continuously maintained, updated, and supported do you have an idea of what you would pay for that? If you could provide a list of what you are currently using and a guess on its relative value to you and what you would pay for it on an annual basis it would give me some food for thought.

Relative to the idea of payment how would you want to pay for them? A initial price for the first year and then a renewal after year one, on a monthly basis, a flat yearly fee to continue getting updates, or perhaps some other type of system?

Thanks for the feedback!

Mark
Old 11-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Well.. lol

I have 4 different vB sites, so it would not be cost worthy for me to pay to have all of them maintained.. especially for the amount of mods added to them.. (and none of them having any income) Unless i could just pay once for a mod, & pay once a year for maintainence & use the mods & maintainence on all of my sites.

But as with any other DTO product.. since they are supported, if we got it from you it would be supported, so there would be no need for any other fee's (that would be the point)

You could offer package deals on free/pay products where as if someone bought a certain number of paid products they could get some of the free ones or something, rather than just offer a bunch of free stuff. (free for paying customers only, not free like vB)

I wish i could use all the dto mods on all of my sites (for one cost),
Old 11-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator

This is the challenge. Finding a reasonable way to support the developer's effort in producing and supporting a product while also getting the site owner to spend some level of money. I'm wondering if there is a balance point where both could happen. Obviously you would want to minimize the cost to support the needs of your sites and the developer wants to maximize what he can generate revenue-wise.

Let's take the example of the Google Map/users product. Realistically what would you be willing to spend for it for just one site versus deploying it to all your sites? Would it be a maximum of $75, $50, $35, $20, $15, etc. As I mentioned if you could give me a list of what you are using and associate a value with each (in the event they could be fully supported, documented, and actively supported) I think we might see a pattern emerge. Perhaps everything would be $5.00 for each "class" of product versus $35.00 for another class of product.

On the purchasing side I'm wondering if products could be offered in a different way depending on how you want to use a product.

- if you just wanted to buy a single copy then there is a one price option
- if you wanted to then buy the same product for other sites the pricing gets discounted
- if you wanted to have access to all products for all your sites it would be an annual subscription and you could use as many as you want for 1-4 sites. There would be additional price points for additional 5-10, 11-20, etc. numbers of sites

As an aside we do offer discounting on our products the more you buy. Typically if you by two licenses of a given product at full price additional licenses of that same product are discounted 20%.

I'd love to get some other site owners into this discussion and see if perhaps we can collect enough data points to determine if there is an opportunity to better support the vBulletin site owner.

Thanks

Mark
Old 11-18-2009, 06:19 PM

Very interesting ideas..

If only one of my sites was bringing in some sort of income i could see it much more useful to me, but as it is now i am all out of pocket for the love of my hobbies.

Hopefully i can turn one of them into some sort of income to help offset the cost of the rest of them.

I will write up a more detailed list of everything i have going on all 4 sites & see what we can come up with.

I too would love to hear from other site owners, & thier opinions. (not just gamers looking for a cool clan site, but actual businesses)